No-Deal Brexit and Driving Abroad

No-Deal Brexit and Driving Abroad - Expert with Points

Once Britain has exited the European Union and working on the assumption that a no-deal Brexit is the likely outcome, you may wish to consider the requirements for driving on the continent post October 31st.

You will need to be carrying with you your UK driving licence, your international driving permit (IDP 1968), your insurance green card, the car’s logbook (V5 document) and a GB sticker.

If you decide to hire a car after flying into the EU, you will also be required to have an International Driving Permit in several countries.

Once we have reached the end of October, you will need to have all the above items in your possession if driving in the EU.

You can purchase an International Driving Permit from the Post Office for £5.50 and be required to bring along your UK driving licence and passport at time of purchase. Be sure though to check which countries will require you to have one, as not all will require you to have one if staying in the country for short durations (Spain or Portugal, for example, will not require you to have one for stays of up to six months).

If there is a deal reached between the UK government and the EU, then the requirements will likely be different, with your UK driving licence allowing you to visit all EU and EEA countries.

If none of the above puts you off an adventure to Europe, check out our Planning a Road Trip guide for a run-down of preparation and tips, link here.

Thomas Goddard

Thomas Goddard

Thomas is Expert with Points' travel writer, covering a variety of travel locations with handy guides on the must-see places on any trip.

Share This Post
Enjoying the content?
Say thanks with a coffee.
Expert with Points